At Grants for the Arts (GFTA), our mission is to promote the diverse and unique communities of San Francisco by supporting the arts through equitable grantmaking.
This mission is accomplished through General Operating Support (GOS) grants that fund general operating expenses of San Francisco’s arts and cultural nonprofits with their primary purpose being one of the following:
- Arts Programming: A season or series of public performances or display of art works in San Francisco.
- Parades and Festivals: Expand cultural experiences through the form of parades or festivals in San Francisco public spaces.
- Capacity Building and Regranting:
- Capacity building support and/or technical assistance for San Francisco-based artists and/or nonprofit arts and culture organizations. Areas of support can include but are not limited to:
- Audience development
- Cultural competency and racial equity action plans
- Fiscal Sponsorship
- Financial management and literacy
- Fundraising and development
- Grant Writing
- Laws and regulations as they apply to the arts and culture sector
- Marketing and publicity
- Nonprofit governance
- Professional Development
- Space/capital planning and evaluations
- Strategic and business planning
- Regranting programs for San Francisco-based artists and/or nonprofit arts and culture organizations. GFTA defines “regranting” as the act of acquiring a large grant and using the funds from that grant to create, manage, and finance smaller grants.